Friday, April 27, 2012

Painting a Day Series: April 27th, Mary Garoutte

Today's featured artist is the very talented Mary Garoutte, who's interest in miniatures has led her towards making the most striking collection of jewellery we've seen in a long time. Her teeny tiny watercolour paintings are meticulously cut out, placed into their setting, and finished with resin. This gives them the appearance of sitting under glass. Mary herself, describes her work best in the statement below:  



"I have many influences that range from vintage childrens imagery such as Beatrix Potter and vintage nursery rhyme books to Art Nouveau/Deco, retro illustration, kitsch, Edward Gorey, Christopher Cornell, Victorian minutia, folk art and nature. I really love birds most of all, and most of my work centers around our feathered friends.

I am a puritan in that my belief is that every charm is and should be one-of-a-kind and 100% original. Each piece is hand-painted by me (You will not find copies or reproductions here. I have a BFA in painting from the notorious Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD), where hard work, challenge, and creative media were instilled into me. I love incorporating my painting background & skills into unique and miniature hand-painted jewels. It's wearable art and I believe fine art should be a part of the everyday." 


Mary Garoutte