Friday, May 27, 2016

Kitty Camping with Michelle St Onge

It may be apparent to some that we at the gallery are fans of our feline friends. It turns out many of our artists are as well, including Michelle St Onge. You probably know Michelle from her awesome graphic prints of Halifax scenes or colourful animals, but with this project she took a little more of a 3D approach... We'll let her tell you about it in her own words:

"Cat obsessed… check
Textile designer… check
Handy with tools… check
Bored on a Friday night… check

I recently got back from a trip to Paris and while visiting my incredibly chic friend Alexia I spotted a cool tent from The Conran Shop for her three year old in her living room. Her son loved spending time in it. Hiding out or chilling’ out."

 

"Fast forward to a cold night back in Halifax. I had about three meters of my new Cat Eyes print on crisp white cotton sitting on my work table doing nothing. And I realized I knew someone else that loved hiding out and chilling’ out; my cat Birdie."
 
Birdie St Onge
 

"Birdie is definitely ‘a caver’ meaning she likes to be under things and in small spaces. With nothing better to do I drew up a pattern for a tiny tent, cut, sewed, ironed, sawed, drilled and sanded. And voila! The Cat tent. You can keep it indoors for a place for your cat to chill or send it outside in the summer to give your cat a place to escape the sun on your patio or lawn."
 
Birdie St Onge
 
Kim Danio's reclaimed shoe kitties are also really loving their "glamping" adventure in the gallery.

Kim Danio Reclaimed Shoe Kitties & Michelle St Onge Cat Tent
 
Pop in today to see more cat related works by Michelle, like these GLOW-IN-THE-DARK Geo kitties...
 
Michelle St Onge, Geo Cat Birdie, 8"x10", Glow-in-the-Dark Screenprint

Michelle St Onge, Geo Cat Fleux, 8"x10", Glow-in-the-Dark Screenprint
 

...and more from our other feline loving artists! Happy Friday!